Sunday, February 12, 2012

Huey the Cat's Thoughts on Family & Adoption

Huey, tell us about yourself?  Um – Hi, my name is Huey.  I think I am almost 16 years old… I am getting a little forgetful over the years… Did I mention my name is Huey?  Sometimes I have moments of clarity - I think right now I'm having one– where everything comes back – and other times I find myself talking to the corner of a room or to a cabinet.

So do you remember how joined this family?  I think it all started in Texas.  Maybe in ’96?  I was living in a kitty cat orphanage with my brothers and sisters.  I looked different from all of them – we were all white – but they had black spots and I was the only orange spotted one.  I remember there was special baby cat cage for all us kittens.  A pretty lady with curly hair took me and a few of my other brothers and sisters out to play with.  She picked up my brother Ralph and turned away, holding him in her arms.  There was something special about this lady – something I could not let slip from my paws… so I threw caution to the wind and took a flying leap from the platform flinging myself onto her back.  I was carefully removed and placed back on the platform.  The moment she turned away, I flung myself at her again.  This time she got the message.  I was trying to tell her – You are my mama – TAKE ME HOME!  She knew I was her special little guy – I CHOSE HER!  I think she named me Huey because my purr was loud like a helicopter (and I could fly). 
I have been with her ever since – except for the 3 years she lived in Korea.  I lived in Massachusetts with my Nannie and Grampy.  I lived mostly outdoors there – got to sleep in a shed and tried to hunt wild turkeys.  It was hard to be sneaky and hide when you are bright white!  I definitely prefer sleeping inside on something warm and squishy – like my moms, a pillow or the couch.  About 6 years ago I met Eleanor.  She became my other mom and I love her lots too!

Wow, Huey, you really do remember a lot about those times!  Have your moms talked to you about how they are hoping to adopt a baby?  I knew something was going to happen one day.  They changed this room in our house – the one with the great lighting.  They added a small bed with big wooden sides.  I can’t heave my big self into that one.  Since I get a little absent minded, I probably won’t do much babysitting when a little brother or sister comes.  I think that babies and I have a lot in common.  We both like taking naps and being snuggled in warm blankets.  Oh - I really like milk – I hear that’s also a favorite for babies.  I think I adjust well to new siblings.  When my other mom, Eleanor, joined the family, I got an older kitty sister named Gracie.  Mostly we get along.  A few years ago, they adopted my other kitty sister Mama Cat.  She is my bestest friend.  I am sure I’ll love the two legged brother or sister that joins us next.

So, Huey – do you think you will be able to give a baby advice as he or she grows up?  Absolutely – I’ve already got a few ideas.  Once you get teeth (I’m missing a few myself) and can eat real food, try everything.   I waited till this year to explore the world of tasty morsels.  Who knew Chinese food was so decicious…and Mangos?  I spent my whole life with crunchy kibble and mushy canned food – but now I can’t stop myself from asking to try the amazing foods humans eat.  I see little kids sticking to the boring mac-n-cheese or nuggets.  These are the kibble and canned food of their generation.  Don’t get yourself stuck in the trap little one.  Explore the word of flavors and textures.
Oh and also – there is a monster in the house.  It gets plugged into the wall and it sucks up everything in it’s path.  Stay away from that thing!  The moms say it helps keep things clean – they call it a vacuum– but really – I think it’s a monster!
 I think that being a brother to a person is going to be pretty fun!   I’m looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Nanie said...

Oh Huey, you are priceless. I do remember you stalking the turkeys in our yard. Did I tell you they were never really afraid of you? Almost from the start, they seemed to enjoy letting you think they didn't see you.

And I promise you personally, that no two legged addition to your family will EVER have to stay outside in the shed when visiting us. :)